High Stress, one day before the Thesis Committee

I have an examination for M.Sc. thesis tomorrow, in which whether or not I am found sufficient to get the degree will be decided. In other words, whether or not I graduate.

Getting excited by each passing seconds, also being unsure of some people's reactions on my thesis and presentation, I feel stressed. As Cicero defined stress (Cicero, & Graver, 2002) as "the thought that there is an evil situation right now on top of us", which is totally unnecessary in order to effectively fight of that "evil". I have finished presentation, I know some of its shortcomings, yet every thesis study has its own shortcomings, nothing special in that sense. There is also one person in my committee that I only saw once, but this is not a rare situation, either. I should prepare for possible questions, and I am doing it right now. So what is the problem?


I have only one answer to this: Selfishness. The stressed feeling almost disappears when I communicate with others, even a couple of words on-foot. The reason for this is there is a substantially large life outside of my "thesis committee stress region". The World is not revolving around my thesis committee, no one actually, and even myself. Of course, an important step in academic career, but not on-the-line.
Sometimes I do understand why I hate staying at home, without seeing other people around with their own struggles and lifes, everything is on toughest level.


References


Cicero, M. T., & Graver, M. (2002). Cicero on the emotions: Tusculan disputations 3 and 4: University of Chicago Press.

Comments

Popular Posts